Breathe Easy: Reducing Toxins with Clean Candles
These days I am more conscious about my health. When I found out what was in some candles, I knew I wanted to make a candle that I didn't have to think twice about breathing. If lighting candles and breathing in toxic fumes isn’t on the top of your to-do list, I’m right there with you.
Many candles on the market contain paraffin wax, which is made from petroleum by-products. When paraffin burns, it produces a toxic petro-carbon soot that can trigger allergies, stain your walls, and reduce air quality. Because paraffin is a synthetic product, it requires chemical additives to improve the quality of the candle. When these additives burn, they release toxic chemicals which can cause headaches; over time, breathing these chemicals can lead to respiratory issues and even cancer.
Switching to soy candles is a natural and safer alternative to paraffin candles. Some benefits of soy wax are:
- it’s made from soybeans, which is a renewable resource;
- it’s a natural product that does not release toxins when burned;
- it does not negatively impact air quality, making it safer not only for people, but also for your furry friends and the environment;
- it has a longer burn time than paraffin candles; and
- it produces a more pleasant scent than paraffin candles.
When looking to buy soy candles, it is still important to pay attention to what is in the candle, as there may be ingredients that are harmful to your health. A few things to keep in mind when shopping for candles:
- Don’t be tricked by candles that say they are “parasoy.” What this means is the candle is made of a blend of paraffin and soy wax. Just because there’s less paraffin in it, doesn’t mean it’s safe.
- Some fragrances contain chemicals. Avoid synthetic fragrances and opt for scents made from essential oils, which also have the added aromatherapy benefit.
- Look for candles that do not contain toxic dyes. Choose candles made with natural dyes or enjoy the natural color of soy wax.
- Some wicks have lead in them. Avoid candles that have wicks made with metals, and choose candles that have wicks made of cotton or paper.
If you’re looking to try a high-quality soy candle, Fig & Fire candles might be just what you’re looking for. They are non-toxic, made with 100% soy wax, infused with essential oils, and contain cotton wicks. The candles are all-natural and produce negligible amounts of non-toxic soot. There are NO toxins, dyes, phthalates, animal-derived additives, or harmful ingredients. Breathe easy and breathe clean with Fig & Fire candles!